Monday, April 28, 2008

Pre-Bane

((This post is all IC, some of the events have happened in SL, others have not and have been added for dramatic licence.)
Fuck Fuck Fuck! It happened again. I've heard that jails are made up of almost exclusively repeat criminals and if you've been there once then the chances of you going back more then double.
It was the same thing that happened last time too, when they sent me back to Tess. Parole violations, and this isn't like that week i spent in Ghrul's federal either, there's no dismissing the charges here those asshole cops got me dead to rights.
I wasn't even doing anything! I was with a friend of mine, we'd been hanging out all night and she asked me to come with her while she picked up some 'Stuff'. She knew the type of life i've had and wanted someone who knew what was going on. I know i shouldn't have gone but she would have gone anyway even if i didn't. The cops spotted us coming up even before we made it to the house, to young blonde's in a car that didn't belong to the neighborhood any more then they did themselves.
We got stopped, searched..it took the officer all of about two minutes to find the guns trapped to my thigh and under my skirt. I didn't bother trying to resist, i've seen enough tv to know that that train of thought only ends bad for the runner. Handcuffs followed, car ride, processing, and because it was Friday i was sure to spend the weekend in jail.
I spent all of Saturday in dread, this was my third offense it was going to be a long long stay for sure, no plea bargain this time...or so i thought. Late on Saturday night i got transferred to a private cell. I was lead down there in full shackles and shoved inside much the same way. The surprising part though was someone was waiting for me in the cell. She said i could call her Mz. Bluezy but didn't tell me much else about herself. We spoke for a little bit, she asked me if i was afraid of going to jail. I answered truthfully and told her yes, spilling my whole story. I knew it was wrong for me to carry a gun since i was a felon but it just wasn't that easy. I don't live in the edge of society where a person can rely on the government for protection, a person has to protect themselves!....atleast that's what i've always told myself...maybe it was just delusional.
To her credit she listened to my story, never once stopping me until I finished. Once I was done she began to speak. She told me she worked a place where the files of all new prisoners crossed her desk. She was looking for certain types and when found she took opportunities to speak to these inmates. She told me she worked for a place called Kelley Ind. some scientific research company. They were looking for non-violent criminals (i didn't dissuade her from this belief, at least none of my crimes were violent.), people who faced real time. She offered me a chance, i wouldn't have to go to jail, all I had to do was join their research program. She didn't tell me much about it, but i didn't care. Anything was better then jail. I had heard a little about the BANE's before, just stuff on TV though I didn't live in a district where they were kept. She said everything would be taken care off, all I had to do was come Monday when i got before the judge plead guilty. They'd offer me a chance for the program and i was to take it, in exchange what would have been the remainder of most of my adult life in jail, to 72 weeks in one those fancy suits they made the prisoners wear.
She left me in the cell to consider my choices, i spent all day Sunday in solitary, it was OK though better there then in some cell, that worked out so well last time. When Monday came it took me all of two seconds to say "Guilty"
Because of the nature of my crimes, I was given time to turn myself into the program. The guards fitted me with an ankle bracelet and i was out by the time lunch rolled around.
That was three days ago.
I've managed to get all my affairs in order. Someone will watch my house while i'm gone. from what i understand i won't be back here for over a year. I won't be able to leave the limits of the district. It doesn't matter though, I can't go back to jail. It can't be to bad after all, at least I'll get to be outside, it'll be just like survival training again!
I took a trip into the city yesterday, i buried a stash of cash for myself along with a pack of rations, my little tool kit and map kit full of paper, stamps and a pen so i can still keep in contact. Hopefully they're still there when i go to get them, i buried them pretty deep and covered it with a rock so someone would have to really go looking for it to find it.
I'm going to turn myself over to the labs tomorrow, wish me luck i guess. Hope the whole thing doesn't hurt.

3 comments:

Danii said...

Mmmmm, maybe I'll see you in the lab soon...

((although I'm afraid our online times won't be compatible))

Danii, Bane operator

Win said...

Dear Bethany, be wary of getting a sentence reduction through banesuits. As a Proud Operator, I know almos everyone will get one or more automtic Sentence Extensions by the Custodian -it's THAT strict. I will tell you what I tell to all prisoners who have chosen banishment over detention: think it through and question yourself if this is something you can really endure. If you really do, well, you are probably in for one of the most intense, frustrating, lonely and sometimes maddeningly boring experiences SL has to offer. Good luck, and may you be strong as it takes.

Bethany Bao said...

Thank you both for the well wishes, don't worry though I'm fully aware of what i'm getting myself into.